(un)informed confusion
~ and other odd oddities ~

8.08.2006

Only in Japan (日本 vol. 2)

baby robot subway seat handshake?Contemporary Japan is the world's greatest post-modern, post-materialist, post-everything experiment. It houses a society that, even by its own Confucian standards, is both sane and insane at once; a country where if the subway runs late, you are given an excuse form to take to your employer so you won't get in trouble; a country where countless plasma screens, neon lights, and concrete high-rises overlap with the most ultimate of minimalisms: Sushi, Zen, austere interior design and, the penultimate, Japanese etiquette.

A lot goes unspoken in Japan, but very little goes unseen. Trains run on time but are often delayed by earthquakes; salesmen are honest but never charge less than a mint; anything can be bought out of a vending machine, including sex; and almost everything harkens to the future in some way.

And what a bizarre, multi-coloured future it is.

The latest from the land of the rising sun:

Rail companies in Tokyo are handing out badges to pregnant women in the hope they prompt commuters to give up their seats on the capital's crowded trains.

The badges come in pink and blue and have the words "There is a baby in my stomach" printed on them.


... versus, say, the esophagus, liver, or kidney, of course — though I wouldn't be surprised if Tokyoites presume that the badges are simply a new way for police to combat recent waves of Asian crazed baby-eating cannibalism. I can see the ungrammatical Engrish logo now: Eat a baby, get rabelled!.

ありがとう!

9...thoughts from my fellow Saturnalians:

  • Hmm. Chris has a new blog. Totally bookmarked.

    By Blogger Johann, at Wed Aug 09, 12:15:00 a.m. ADT  

  • That was a KILLER post on the Left and the Mid-East conflict - wow.

    I was only in Japan for a month but it really astounded me - the schoolgirl's panties in the vending machines blew me away. I wish I'd stayed longer.

    Those badges are so awesome - I loved hearing that. That is SO Japanese - "There is a baby in my stomach". I love that.

    Effeminate is a great quality.

    By Blogger Jacques Beau Vert, at Wed Aug 09, 12:29:00 a.m. ADT  

  • I had to look up "floccinaucinihilipilificate". I just found out tonight what "defenestrate" means...

    By Blogger Jacques Beau Vert, at Wed Aug 09, 12:33:00 a.m. ADT  

  • Jason, thanks for the compliments! I figured the Israel comment might be too long for a post comment, but went ahead anyway. I'm glad somewhere out there in the blog network I frequent agrees with me ... Riley sure doesn't :)

    Defenstrate... I'll try to use that one in the future....

    By Blogger C. LaRoche, at Wed Aug 09, 03:42:00 a.m. ADT  

  • I now totally want to see "Dumplings".

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Aug 09, 10:03:00 a.m. ADT  

  • Jason Bo Green was in Japan?!

    Where did you stay? I used to live in Chiba, just outside Tokyo but close to Narita airport.

    By Blogger Eric, at Sat Aug 12, 01:10:00 a.m. ADT  

  • Apparently Jason hasn't come back, S.O. .... but I'll give you the consolation of knowing that I trained through Chiba while on my way in and out of Tokyo :)

    By Blogger C. LaRoche, at Sun Aug 13, 09:51:00 p.m. ADT  

  • :) Thanks for the consolation. What were you up to in Japan?

    I take it from the chinese characters that you always have on your blog that either a) speak mandarin b) have been to china too

    By Blogger Eric, at Wed Aug 16, 12:42:00 p.m. ADT  

  • I was visiting my cousin, who was then on a student exchange to Sophia University in Tokyo (he now lives there an has a job with an international financial firm -- apparently if you're Western, know finance well, and speak some Japanese, you can get a great job in Tokyo, hehehe).

    I spent about two weeks in and around Tokyo (by "around" I mean like Fuji-san, Kamakura, Yokohama, Nikko, etc., plus Tokyo proper), crashing at my cousin's place in Ikebukuro. I spent another week with the good ol JR pass visiting spots along the Tokyo-Hiroshima shinkansen leg and a tiny bit up north in the Japan Alps (Kyoto, Osaka, Himeji, a few Edo-period towns in a valley whose name escapes me, Okyama, Kobe, Nara, Hiroshima, Miyajima and Matsumoto).

    Fantastic trip. I'd like to go back and have some more time in the site-rich areas I skimmed (Kyoto -- I only had two and a half days there -- and the whole of Kansai prefecture -- I would also like to go to Koya-san and perhaps up north on Honshu to Ichi prefecture and Hokkaido), but the place is so dratted expensive... :)

    I also happened to go in June, the "rainy season," and while it didn't actually rain much, it was steamy as hell.

    The whole trip was basically a good way to learn more about the culture of the place -- I had previously studied Japanese politics and economics, but that's about it. Learning from the point of view of my cousin -- a gaijin doing his best to make a life there -- was also pretty priceless. Oh, and so was the nightlife in Tokyo. Bright lights + incomprehensible language + foreign culture + drunkenness = great fun.

    Re: the hanzi/kanji I use now and then: an irony of mine is that I'm almost intermediate with Chinese having never been to China, and know zero Japanese, but having actually been to Japan. Technically, I'm only good with Mandarin -- spoken -- and Standard Chinese -- written, which is synonymous with Mandarin. I don't know a lick of oral Cantonese, though I could take a stab at reading it, since 'officially' it uses standard chinese writing, too -- though it tends to use its own characters for the immense amount of Cantonese colloquial language.

    A China trip is in the works, of course, mostly to get rid of the guilt I feel for never having been to the country I study most. I'd also like to get there in the next few years -- versus, say, in fifteen -- before "old" China really disappears. If there's one thing I found missing in Japan, it was that "old" feel. Some areas of Tokyo still feel old -- Asakusa, for example -- and of course there are lots of preserved areas, towns, and city neighbourhoods, especially in Kanzai and some of the central Honshu valleys.

    Still, having been only to Europe and Cuba previously, where 95% of a city is the same as it was in 1850 or older, seeing the concrete sea of Japan that confronts you when you train around the east coast was somewhat disheartening at first. After searching of course, I found plenty of old Japan.

    By Blogger C. LaRoche, at Wed Aug 16, 07:28:00 p.m. ADT  

Post a Comment

<< Home