(un)informed confusion
~ and other odd oddities ~

12.20.2006

Plagiarism in the Post?

I read The New Yorker often; I almost never read the National Post. Nevertheless, when I spied the Post's bit on left-winger/bon-vivant-turned-Iraq-War-proponent Christopher Hitchens, I took a gander and read the piece. After finishing, something seemed amiss — I was reminded, particularly by one line, of a Hitchens profile that The New Yorker ran the previous month.

Well, I've finally dragged that issue out of the great stacks of clutter that populate my room. I've compared it to the Post's piece, and I think I've found something.

Take a look at this sentence, written by Joseph Brean and run in "A day in the intellectual glare of Christopher Hitchens," The National Post, November 18, 2006:

In public speaking, which [Hitchens] does frequently and well, he has adopted the politician's trick of eliding the last words of one sentence into the first words of the next, which prevents both stuttering and interruption. Not that either seem much of a danger for him these days. Now, at public events like these, he does the interrupting . No one else would dare.

Now take a look at this line from a New Yorker piece on the same subject, by Ian Parker (October 16, 2006, p. 150):

[Hitchens] is a fine, funny orator, with the mock-heroic manner of an English barrister sure of his ground ("by all means," "if you will"), using derision, a grand diction, and looping subclauses that always carry him back to the main path. He also has the politician's trick of eliding the last word of one sentence to the first word of the next, while stressing both words, in order to close a gate against interruption.

Plagiarism, coincidence, or what?

EDIT: I've received a response from Joseph Brean, the author of the National Post piece. I'll be putting some of our correspondence up here in the forthcoming days.

Also, it occurs to me I haven't done any of my Christmas shopping yet.

I never cease to anticipate myself.

7...thoughts from my fellow Saturnalians:

  • Hello Christopher, I'm the author of the Hitchens piece in the Post, also a fellow Queen's grad and ancestral Nova Scotian. I take accusations of plagiarism pretty seriously, especially when the allegedly plagiarized material came straight from the mouth of my subject during a tape-recorded interview. If you want to discuss this, or hear more about why you have not discovered a case of plagiarism, you can reach me at jbrean@nationalpost.com. If not, you owe me the courtesy of removing this accusation from your website.
    Hell, I'd even be satisfied if you made half an effort to explain to your readers why they should give a damn that the same word ("eliding," which in the context is the correct word) turned up in two profiles of the same guy. But to simply raise the possibility that I am a cheat, and leave it at that with a question mark, that's just offside. By the way, what did you think of the rest of the article?
    jb

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Dec 21, 03:43:00 p.m. AST  

  • Ah Chris, even if there is a perfectly logical explanation for the striking similarity between the two pieces, at first glance it is quite jarring. It most certainly warrants careful scrutiny of both articles, at the very least. You're not amiss in your skepticism.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Dec 22, 08:29:00 a.m. AST  

  • Chris and Joseph:

    I would be very interested in hearing the explanation. I would also be interested in knowing how Chris' post is "offside" in any way. Clearly, there is an issue here...

    By Blogger Devin Maxwell, at Sun Dec 24, 01:47:00 a.m. AST  

  • I agree with Devin... at the very least an explanation is warranted here.

    I think it's great that Chris noticed this similarity between two articles and pointed it out. I would have done the same thing.

    There is no way this post is "off-side"... it was simply some detective work by Chris that showed some peculiar similarities.

    I look forward to some responses and explanations.

    Great stuff Chris.

    By Blogger Forward Looking Canadian, at Sun Dec 24, 06:34:00 p.m. AST  

  • Nothing at all "offsides" about your post, and it reflects rather poorly upon the author that he reacted to your post with this attitude.

    (btw I came here through searching Brean's name after reading his dreadful mocking of the Dalai Lama, published in the National Post yesterday..)

    By Blogger Jay Smooth, at Sun Nov 04, 03:01:00 p.m. AST  

  • i was wondering if mr. brean would be willing to speak to his blatant plagirizing of mickey rooney's performance in 'breakfast at tiffany's'?

    as a point of context, please read mr. brean's so-called 'article' in the post which fictionalizes the dalai lama's 'diary' during his visit to canada.

    http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=1362a59b-6305-48da-a320-7781b5efa868&k=38836

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Nov 14, 06:09:00 p.m. AST  

  • Hi Sean and others,
    I became very busy after making this post and let my promise to post the conversations I had with Brean (and others) lapse. I'll be making a new post addressing the matter in a day or so. Let me clear up front: I don't think Brean plagiarized in the bit I have quoted above, and neither do most journalists or authors I asked about the situation. There are some details Brean revealed to me about why the two factoids appear extremely similar, and they deserve vetting.

    By Blogger C. LaRoche, at Wed Nov 14, 06:14:00 p.m. AST  

Post a Comment

<< Home