(un)informed confusion
~ and other odd oddities ~

11.18.2006

A Brief Reprieve from Bloggophrenia

Subtitle: An Opprobrious Malediction of the Supposed and Very Much Barmecidal Operational Supremacy of Modern Technology

~or~

My Computer is Broken

(And I am a Luddite at Heart)

In an unforeseen turn of events, my trusty laptop of innumerable uses and years of companionship (complete with laptop drops, hits, slams, thwacks and squishy liquid-dumps) has finally "kicked the can" and gone yonder to the great big pile-of-technological-decay in the sky.

In the interest of full disclosure, actually, said events were not altogether unforeseen, nor did they change much (a straight of events?). The laptop is still sitting on my desk, in fact, and I've known the thing was going to die for a few months now. Somewhat absurdly, the computer itself works just fine -- but the motherboard connection to the laptop's screen is, as one might be inclined to say this time of year, kaput. So while I can "use" the computer, I can't see what I am doing, even if I plug my desktop screen into the laptop's monitor jack.

(And oh, Oh(!) how the computer gods taunt me: I can still hear that perky popping noise OS X makes when the on board volume is adjusted using the keyboard volume keys. I bet if I clicked around blindly for long enough I could get iTunes running....)

In any case, there is a new laptop on the way, care of my parents, Steve Jobs, Chinese and/or Taiwanese manufacturing prowess, and my 24th Birthday.

But I don't know precisely when the new machine will arrive, and I am heading out of town next week (Wed-Mon) for a brief but needed reprieve from the carefree humdrum of my Haligonian life.

What all of this onerous vituperation means is that any blogging or updating I may (or may not) undertake over the next week (or so) is more likely (than not) to be a bit spotty (more than usual, anyway).

Ahem.

Should the unpredictable and often maniacal passage of time deign that none of the above become true, I suppose then that he meaning of this post is simple: I am getting a new computer, and you aren't.

As the Hapsburg Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II used to say,
"Well, there it is."

2...thoughts from my fellow Saturnalians:

  • Good job just not waking up for the brunch with the relatives this morning... haha. I was even present and I don't live there. :P

    You're hilarious.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Nov 19, 04:05:00 p.m. AST  

  • Yeah, I meant to get up, but I set my alarm wrong and I was up for a while last night doing a job application.

    By Blogger C. LaRoche, at Sun Nov 19, 04:18:00 p.m. AST  

Post a Comment

<< Home