(un)informed confusion
~ and other odd oddities ~

12.06.2006

Odds and Sods and Clumps of Blog

The quest to find a reasonable, well-located place to live in Toronto for six months rages on....

* * *

I hope I don't get Toronto Syndrome.

I expected Torontonians to be beautiful and elegant.... and when I got there, I found out their character was the complete opposite of my own...

* * *

Here's a dandy of a conversation I had while on the phone with a College St. landlord:

"Can I send someone by to look at the place?"
--silence--
"'Someone'?"
"Yes, I'm in Halifax. I'm moving
to Toronto. I'd need to send someone by to look at the place."
--silence--
"Shouldn't you be moving to Edmonton?"

* * *

Last up (w/ thanks to Sepand Siassi): do not fart on a plane and then attempt to cover up the stench by lighting matches.

4...thoughts from my fellow Saturnalians:

  • dude...you're going to LOVE toronto...don't assume that every torontonian is the same...trust me on this! (vash)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Dec 07, 11:08:00 a.m. AST  

  • Vas(s)h: will do! I already know a few, so the lot of you are outweighing the rudies I've met over the phone so far.

    (But your numbers are dwindling!)

    Did you check out the link?

    It's actually Paris syndrome. I "Torontonified" it.

    By Blogger C. LaRoche, at Fri Dec 08, 05:43:00 a.m. AST  

  • okay, first i should note that i always thought your blog name was clever to say the least. However after reading this article http://www.slate.com/id/2155103/?nav=tap3 it appears you had - knowingly or unknowingly - borrowed a line from a famous New Yorker writer, Robert Lowell. I should note that my knowledge of him comes completely from the slate article. But anyways.... I thought I should tell you that:

    1. very impressed with this reference, if it was done purposely....

    2. you should have mentioned if death if (see 1)you knew this was the case.

    Anyways, i still have an essay to write.

    Best,
    Stephen Hamilton.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Dec 09, 11:13:00 p.m. AST  

  • Hey Steve, although I know who George Trow is, I didn't realize he coined the phrase "informed confusion." In fact, I thought it was something of a not-so-often-but-sometimes used truism/adage/aphorism/maxim of sorts; Brian Bow actually used it in an article that's in the poli sci newsletter from a few years back (he explains that a lot of poli sci education turns students from uninformed certainty to informed confusion... they know more but also know there are fewer concrete answers to anything).

    Not sure what comment #2 means... typo?

    By Blogger C. LaRoche, at Sun Dec 10, 05:00:00 p.m. AST  

Post a Comment

<< Home