(un)informed confusion
~ and other odd oddities ~

11.03.2006

A Tusk of Wisdom

So, my nativity celebrations at the Gradhouse and Stage Nine last night essentially turned from "Chris' 24th Birthday" to "Professor Frank Harvey, Distinguished Fulbright Chair And Writer of Many Books, Deftly and Unequivocally Defeats All of His Students at Pool."

A few good lines:
"Frank, are you sure you can handle that much wood?"

And...

"Chris, how do you want this racked? Oh wait, I already beat you."

(He didn't even buy me a drink!)

* * *

On to the purpose of this post. It's a new month, and that means new wisdom. November's selection has been brought to by none other than Devin DeCiantis, "Special Projects Manager" (fancy title, eh?) at The Walrus in Toronto. Drum roll...

Never believe anything until it has been officially denied. - Otto Von Bismarck

Coincidentally, I happen to have a Bismarck quote as one of the openers for my thesis -- a similar one, to boot:

When a man says he approves of something in principle, it means he hasn't the slightest intention of putting it into practice.

* * *

In other news, North Korea is now allegedly returning to the Six-Party Talks, meaning that I might have to rewrite another chunk of my thesis.... ugh.

再见。

4...thoughts from my fellow Saturnalians:

  • Chris:

    Frank is a shark. He told us that he put himself through university (McGill I think) playing pool.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Nov 03, 10:36:00 p.m. AST  

  • Thanks Devin -- I suppose it all makes sense now...

    By Blogger C. LaRoche, at Sat Nov 04, 02:05:00 p.m. AST  

  • Hey Chris,

    just wanted to send belateds your way. I'm not sure how I forgot, it was written right in my DSU handbook!

    Haha, I wouldn't worry about your prof not buying you a drink - it sounds like you got off lucky since he didn't try to take any of your money with his mad pool skills...

    By the way, you should've dropped by Stage Nine on Friday - Repo, Loukas, and Mike Gorman dropped by, it was a good time.

    Happy 24th,
    Neal

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Nov 05, 04:45:00 a.m. AST  

  • Thanks Neal -- I'll probably be by this friday. I hate Gorman now that he insists on accusing me of
    "literary diarrea" -- not so much on the basis that his accusations aren't true, but because it is easy to hate Gorman.

    By Blogger C. LaRoche, at Wed Nov 08, 05:41:00 p.m. AST  

Post a Comment

<< Home