(un)informed confusion
~ and other odd oddities ~

12.29.2006

I am no fan of mass-murdering dictators...

...but what in heaven's name will this accomplish? This entire Saddam vs. the Iraqi Tribunal ordeal has been such a monkey trial I'm surprised anyone out there is standing for it. Are we to presume that, in executing Saddam, all dictators on Earth are effectively told "beware: totalitarian regimes are risky, crime-ridden endeavours"? Are we to presume that this signal will effectively challenge or change the behaviour of the likes of Kim Jong-Il, the Iranian Ayatollah, or Fidel Castro? Are we to presume that, in death, Saddam's powers of insurgency rabble-rousing against the U.S. are nullified?

(How about no, no and no...)

2...thoughts from my fellow Saturnalians:

  • I completely agree.

    Do you think Elton John will make an appearance at Hussein's funeral with a new tribute called "Baghdad's Rose"?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Dec 30, 11:52:00 a.m. AST  

  • Anon: are you Steve H.?

    If so, I'm still waiting to be schooled on my Canadian Senate post. Really, I love Canadian politics, but my opinions aren't always the most informed ones (let's go with uninformed certainty...). So I appreciate a schooling now and then.

    On Ol' Elton:

    It might not be that surprising to see him come out as a Saddam supporter... I think he's good friends with Fidel, no?

    (Then again, who isn't? If Saddam is black, Stalin polar and Mao grizzly, Fidel certainly passes as the teddy bear of totalitarian dictators... not that he doesn't have big teeth, though...)

    Speaking of bears, I can already see the Colbert Report bit that would air in Elton's stead — clips from U.S. and UK networks replete with talk about the "liberal Hollywood agenda" that, as a gay entertainer, Elton John is most likely central to, at least in the minds of Papa Bear and Fox News...

    By Blogger C. LaRoche, at Sat Dec 30, 03:43:00 p.m. AST  

Post a Comment

<< Home