(un)informed confusion
~ and other odd oddities ~

1.05.2007

A Few Thoughts Vol. 382

I have decided to take the slug, er, train to Toronto because the slug, er, train will let me bring more luggage on board than would an airplane.

Still, I must somehow fit my entire life into 4 suitcases weighing no more than 50lbs each. This may sound easy for some of you, but I happen to be one of those condemned persons who plays musical instruments. Even attempting to bring my electric guitar rig to Toronto would put me over the VIA Rail limit — my coffin of an amp alone weighs something in the order of 80 or 90lbs, and all my pedals and cables stuffed into a book bag ends up being very heavy.

My trumpet, with its large case and "priceless" (er, sentimental) quality will probably have to stay. And I don't particularly like my acoustic guitar enough to tie it up for the haul, so I may try to get rid of it before I go. That leaves me with a flügelhorn and an assortment of mutes, all of which will probably fill a suitcase.

"Ü," I say.

Then I've got my winter clothing. It's light, to be sure, but bulky. I enjoy sweaters, and I do, contrary to popular belief, have a winter coat or two.

And suits. I like suits.

Er, and shoes. I must have a few pairs of shoes. I am there till at least July, after all, and I arrive in the middle of winter. I'd like to go to the opera at least once, so I need dress shoes. Might as well bring my Italian leathers (brown), too, just to cover the brown side of things.

What if I go jogging?

(Who am I kidding. I'm not going to go jogging.)

No bike, no skis, either. Too big. What a winter/summer this will be. I am going to waste away.

Thank God for Centrum.

I have a laptop — it must come, or I will suddenly find myself in danger of becoming a human being. So must the computer speakers (they're small). And then there's the matter of things dear to me: a few books, a sketch pad, my Chinese dictionaries, my digital camera, adapters for my computer, camera and speakers, my ipod, the ipod charger, an espresso coffee maker, a teapot, a small Buddha, more books, pens, a King's College mug, guitar picks, a few mouthpieces, a DVD or two, my wallet, a cheese grater, bellybutton lint, socks, a hat, some ski gloves (for shoveling), Vaseline (er, for chaffing), a DVD player (just in case!), adapters for electronics, adapters for clothes, adapters for life .... More, more, more space eaten up by post-material whims and odds and ends and things that would be maniacally frivolous were I not addicted to them, their presence, and their use in my daily life; doings and ongoings....

Sometimes I wish I was an actual Buddhist monk. No possessions, no worries; all love, all kindness; stability. And views of the Himalaya. Who could ask for any more?

Hell, I might as well go to space.

"Ü," I say.

Onward and upward,
再见。

5...thoughts from my fellow Saturnalians:

  • Remember your sister will be arriving sometime in your first couple months and can bring along the other half of your heartbeat... :) Trumpets make the most excellent carry-on luggage.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Jan 07, 01:05:00 p.m. AST  

  • Good luck with your move, man. I fly back from Alberta via Toronto in April. I might try to change my flight and spend more than an hour in the city and visit family and yourself if it doesn't burn up too much of my meagre (yet fun) earnings from here!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Jan 07, 03:55:00 p.m. AST  

  • Hello Chris. It's your annoying former opinions editor writing from a desk at the Ottawa Citizen where I am interning this month before returning to London to finish this journalism thing Quentin did the year before. Did you know Q is in Fredericton right now working as a reporter? Good luck in TO with whatever it is you're doing there. ~Sarah

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Jan 08, 05:12:00 p.m. AST  

  • Make sure to come back for thanksgiving otherwise I won't be invited to your place for turkey dinner which would be really, really sad.

    By Blogger Dong, at Mon Jan 08, 06:58:00 p.m. AST  

  • Li, my internship will be over by the time it is thanksgiving.

    By Blogger C. LaRoche, at Mon Jan 08, 07:01:00 p.m. AST  

Post a Comment

<< Home